Friday, July 20, 2012

Broken Tile technique

I've written before about InkStains with Roni ( and how inspirational I find her techniques.  here is a card I created after visiting her site this week.  She calls the technique Broken Tile.

Rip low-tack tape, like painters' tape, or tissue tape, into strips.  Don't worry if the strips are straight!  Place them on white cardstock in various directions.  You're looking for shapes that look like broken tiles.  In the area created by the tape, stamp an image and sponge around the edges.  You may have to mask the area to prevent ink getting onto another "tile".  Remove the tape carefully -- even low-tack tape can rip the paper underneath.  Stand back and admire your background paper!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Two more simple cards using the Bella Boutique dsp from last year.  I confess -- I had to remove the cellophane wrapper.  I haven't been using my supplies at all, just buying more!

This is such versatile paper, I'm going to regret only buying the one pack.  I have used a layer of dsp on cardstock, so they were very simple cards to make.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Stephanie and I enjoyed the final class for the season at Kathy Mostardi's.  It was a collage class.  We were given a huge sheet of watercolour paper.  We glued all sorts of papers to the surface, and when it was dry, we added paint through stencils, punchella and bits of grids.  It was so fun!  When that layer was dry, we sliced the sheet into postcards and ATCs.

I added some stamping and emphemera to the cards, but still don't feel they are ready to mail.  A bit more playing, and they'll be ready.

Here are 8 of the cards:

Monday, July 16, 2012

At school, the Child and Youth Worker asked me to come up with a Mother's Day card that the kids could make to give to their mums.  it was so popular, we did the same for Father's Day.  I kept the cards very simple -- minimal stamping, some punching, some gluing.  I was able to work through my stash of old dsp, and i think the kids really enjoyed giving something hand-made to their parents.

Here are the cards:

the Mother's Day card is on the left.  On white cardstock, the students layered dsp and embossed, punched white cardstock.  I created the salutation in Word, the had them cut the label out.  It's popped up.  Inside, they stamped "love" in big letters.

The Father's Day card used some of the dsp that I had cut for Mother's Day, plus some of the more masculine papers from my stash.   The postage stamp images involved six different ink colours.  I was worried about contamination, so I stamped the images first, and the kids punched and glued.  Inside, there is a tag with Happy Father's Day,and a bit of linen string.

The cards were quick to put together assembly-line fashion, and inexpensive for me.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Bad Blogger

Although I have been creating, I have not been posting.  Here are two cards I made today.  Unfortunately, the card project is back on.  Louise is back in chemo, and I am making cards for patients to write thank-yous.

This card uses Gumball Green cardstock, possibly one of the more ugly colours SU has come up with.  I sponged a tally sheet using Basic Black and a Crafter's Workshop stencil.  I had some SU black and white houndstooth, which I spnged with Lucky Limeade.  There's some black cardstock "ribbon" between.

I watercoloured this little pear (a hostess SU set) with re-inkers, popped it up on some Old Olive c/s and mounted it all on Crumcake cardstock, which I background stamped with a distressed SU vintage amp.  The label is a piece of grundge paper, inked with Kiwi Kiss ink, and Distress Stains in Vintage Photo and Painted Shutters.  Two vintage brads from SU hold it to the card.

I promise to post more frequently!